Fournier Institute Collection
Scope and Contents
Includes yearbooks - missing 4 years: 1947-1950 and the book The Fournier Story, which gives the history of the institute. Also includes a few photos of the building, correspondence, legal documentation, visit reports, alumni and faculty listings. Other materials are found in the created collections for the Viatorian Novitiate and Juniorate.
- Created: 1940-1955
- Fournier Institute, Lemont, IL (Organization)
Biographical or Historical Information
Arthur J. Schmitt, Chicago industrialist, established a Foundation to finance the training of tomorrow's leaders in science and engineering. The Board of Trustees of the Foundation established Fournier Institute of Technology, an all-scholarship institution for men.
Fournier was located near the town of Lemont, IL at 127th Streer and Archer Avenue. The campus included a complete working farm. Formerly the Novitiate (1927-1942) and Juniorate (1929-1933) of the Clerics of St. Viator, it was named for the first Viatorian provincial, Rev. Cyrille Fournier, CSV.
The school opened in Feb 1943 and was administered and staffed by the Viatorians, as well as lay men and women. The original name was retained to honor the priest and educator.
Originally, Fournier Institute was planned to operate as a 2 year high school and 4 year college. Due to military service rquirements, the college program did not commence until 1947. The high school was discontinued in 1951 and the college became a 5 year program of study leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
Due to the rapid pace of advancements in science and engineering, the Foundation decided to support advanced degrees and terminated the undergraduate studies at Fournier in 1955.
Note written by General Announcements for Jan 1955 for Fournier Institute of Technology and The Fournier Story
Language of Materials
Fournier Institute, a former post of the Viatorians, was located in Lemont, IL. It was the site of the Viatorian Novitiate from 1927-1942 and the Viatorian Juniorate from 1929-1933. In Feb. 1943, it became the Fournier Institute of Technology and was funded by the Arthur J. Schmitt Foundation.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Joan Sweeney, Viatorian Community Archivist
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description